Monday, May 9, 2011

The 5k

Good morning friends!  This weeks McFatty Monday will be a bit different because again I am at the plateau that I can't get off of!  It is ok because it has been a stressful few weeks and I think I need to focus on something else and then the scale will move!  So because I did my first 5k on Saturday we will focus on that!

Saturday morning started off pretty chaotic.  I could not find anything I needed and was a hot mess!  I had to take a few minutes to remind myself I have run plenty of 5k races...just by myself!  I was not in it to win it, just in it to finish. 

Dave and I got to the race and prepped ourselves for the start.  We pinned on our numbers, put on our shoe sensors so they can track us and got lined up.  We showed up a the start about 5 minutes before race time so there was little waiting thank goodness!  I think the next race I do I will show up the same time!  It was a corral start so they line us up by mile times.  Dave and I lined up between the 9 to 10 minute mile group and the 12 and under/stroller group!  I did not want to get run over!

I realized as I lined up that this was awesome people watching. You had a person from every walk of life...old, young, baby, large, small, beginner, advanced, etc.  On that day we all joined together to be runners!

They played the National Anthem and then set off the siren and off we went!  The run was beautiful.  The weather was perfect and the neighborhood we went through was so pretty!  The only problems were the damn hills!  There were a ton on this run! 

I was making good time, at one mile I was at 11:30 and at two miles 22:30.  I thought I was on track to finish the 5k at 34:30 but then came those last few hills.  I tried my hardest but at around 2.5 miles I had to walk it off for a minute.  After 60 seconds I went back to jogging and pushed to the finish.  As I came up to the finish line I could see my David waiting for me!  I told him at the start that if he wanted to he could go ahead because he is faster.  I am happy I said this because he was front and center as I crossed the finish! 

As I came in the official clock said 35:30.  So like I figured a minute later then expected because of having to walk the hills.  But for a first time runner and racer I like to think this was a strong showing!  This was a great first race to show me what I need to improve on and that is my hill work!

I loved this race, everyone was so supportive.  The people that live in the neighborhood stood outside their homes and cheered as you ran by...it was so much fun!  And everyone cheered as you crossed the finish line.  It felt great!  And if you want to see a shot of me crossing the finish and looking good doing it check out the picture by Jennifer Romanowski

When I signed up for the race I set three goals.  They were:
  1. Finish
  2. Jog the entire time
  3. Finish in under 40 minutes
Well, two out of three I will take!  Next time I will still have goal 1 and 2, but will change number 3 to come in under 35 minutes.  I will jog the entire time next time!

We already found a race for next time.  On July 9th there is a race near us we are going to do!  So this begins my training again!  Happy McFatty Monday and here's to hoping I see a loss next week!

4 comments:

  1. Excellent topic. you have explained above all the information very clearly.

    website hostings

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post truly revealed significantly a larger number of information than I was needing to find. I'm really cheerful I discovered this site hence.
    analog sports watches
    men analog digital watch

    ReplyDelete